Thursday, August 10, 2017

Far East Hospitality Trust 2Q 2017 Financial Results - Review & Action

Far East Hospitality Trust just released their financial results last Friday and I thought it would be good to do a quick update since I've been writing a lot on the hospitality industry as an investment opportunity.

Net property income still decreased by -6% in 2Q 2017 as compared to 2Q 2016. However, this is a smaller decrease compared to the 1Q decrease of -10.4%. Average hotel occupancy was 87.1% in 2Q as compared to 88.1% in 1Q. Comparing year on year, occupancy increased 1.9%. RevPAR remains stable at $134 which is a good sign that it has bottomed out. Comparing year on year, RevPAR decreased -4.6% in 1Q while it decreased -1.3% in 2Q. This is a smaller decrease which is again a good sign that RevPAR is bottoming.

Credit: http://www.fareasthospitalitytrust.com/rendezvous-hotel-singapore.html

In summary, hotel occupancy has increased by 1% for the 1H of 2017 while serviced residence has decreased by -8.7%. RevPAR still remains low but shows signs of bottoming out. Far East Htrust portfolio consists of 64.8% hotels, 12.9% serviced residences and 22.3% commercial which contributes to its gross revenue. From the time I invested in this stock, the stock price has gone up by 10% and I've divested a portion of my investment in this stock at 0.67. It is still trading at a PB of 0.74 which represents a discount to NAV of 26%. The dividend yield at current price is about 6.24%. The reason for divesting it is to lock in some gains first while monitoring it for any other upside.

I also did a check on one of its competitors, Frasers Hospitality Trust and looked at its Singapore properties portfolio. I noticed that Frasers Htrust Singapore properties registered a higher RevPAR for both its properties. It is an impressive gain of 4.1% Y-Y.  For all its other countries portfolio, the gross operating profit also increased. Frasers Htrust will be the next investment opportunity I'll be looking at. However, it's trading at a PB of 0.99 and dividend yield of 6.53%. It seems to be at a fair price currently so if we want to invest now, there may be limited upside. I shall monitor and keep it in my watchlist for any good entry points.

Enjoyed my articles? 
or follow me on my Facebook page and get notified about new posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment