Wednesday, December 2, 2015

After 2 years of blogging...

Time really flies... It's been more than 2 years since I started blogging and this blog has grown tremendously and I have also grown as a person too. I'm a person who likes to reflect and think a lot so here's this post on my thoughts for the past 2 years. Some of you may have followed my blog since the early days and I thank each and everyone of you for reading, recommending my blog to your friends and family, sharing on social media and showing your support with words of encouragement either through email or comments on my blog. This blog has officially crossed 2 Million page views and I'm deeply humbled by the readers who supported the ideas that I write.


There are ups and downs to blogging. Fortunately, the experience for me has been a more positive than negative one. I've heard of bloggers who get criticised so badly that they decided to give up. Thank God nothing of that sort happened to me. I've been quite lucky that people have mostly been quite kind to me. The past 2 years plus was an amazing journey. Being a blogger exposes me to a whole lot of things, meeting up quite a number of people as a blogger even though I'm still anonymous on my blog.

My blogging experience has expanded far beyond just the online world. Right from the start, I thought blogging was just something that I'll do at home, writing at the comfort of my bedroom and nothing else. I was completely wrong. I had so much more experience through blogging than just typing away on my keyboard.

Through my blog, I had the opportunity to experience things that I would not have been able to experience if I was just a normal salaried employee in Singapore. The best part of it was meeting new people and discussing on how to spread the importance of financial literacy better. I still believe that if we have the knowledge and build good financial habits from young, we will be much better off and avoid all the financial sufferings later. Credit, debt and retirement issues are still causing a lot of problems for many families because of a mismanagement of money.

I've met up with people who are passionate in bringing financial literacy to the next level. People from various government ministries, educators, investors, businessman, financial bloggers, finance professionals, students are part of the groups of people whom I've met so far. I am careful to meet only those people who are sincere in bringing good to the society through finance and not just about making money.

Earlier this year, I had the chance to work and interact with NTU interactive investment club all thanks to my cousin who introduced me to the club and link me up with the people there. I had the opportunity to contribute and I personalpy saw how young people's lives can be impacted in the areas of financial planning. Students as young as 13 were able to understand the importance of financial planning through games and competition.

I've been busy with lots of things in my life. Working as a freelance mortgage consultant was a role that I took up a few months ago which has given me a lot of experience working with various banks and understanding how mortgage loans work. I could help people get the best rates for their housing loans and at the same time earn some extra money also. Besides this, in July this year, I met the love of my life. Yes I've been dating and in love for the past few months. It has been an amazing journey with her, creating our own experience and memories. I want to thank my precious girlfriend for being who she is and supporting me, encouraging me all these while.

As you can see, money is not the most important thing in my life. Experiences are far more important than what money can bring. However, money is the most basic for our livelihood. I always say take care of the money and you can then pursue the more important things in life without having to worry about money.

The end of the year is coming. Its the festive season as we celebrate Christmas, the season of giving, and cross over to the new year 2016. Have your life been good for the year 2015? Even if its not, I hope all of us will look forward to a greater year in 2016. Happy holidays ahead!!

6 comments:

  1. Dear SGYI,

    Congratulation on your blog milestone! To be frank, I didn't realize that your blog is only 2 years old because it seems like eternity since I followed your blog! As you entered another new phase in your life, hopefully your thoughts will evolve and I look forward to more sharing from you. Keep it up!

    Magically yours,
    SG Wealth Builder
    www.sgwealthbuilder.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gerald,

      Thanks for following my blog all these while. Glad to know you in the blogging world. Thank you for your kind words. Have a great holiday season ahead!

      Delete
  2. Dear SGYI,

    I accidentally browsed your blog while I was googling for financial blogger. Your blog had been an inspiration to me and I read all of your blog posts. They are all related to the young working adults just like me. And CONGRATULATIONS for achieving a new milestone in your blog and your life. Will continue reading your posts and have a nice holiday! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenus,

      Thank you for your kind words. I'm happy to hear that I've inspired you in my small little ways. Happy holidays to you too! :)

      Delete
  3. Hi,

    I like the way you blog and how demographically close I am to you. It is an inspiration to me to see someone whom I can aspire towards doing well.

    Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackology,

      Thank you! All the best to you too in your life!

      Delete